January 19

1841 - The Prophet Joseph Smith receives Doctrine and Covenants 124 in Nauvoo, Illinois.  It contains the commandment to build a Temple in Nauvoo.  It also commands the Saints to build the Nauvoo House, a place for visitors to come and “contemplate the glory of Zion.”  It also contains instructions concerning baptism for the dead, reorganization of priesthood quorums, and the calling of Hyrum Smith as the new Patriarch to the Church and as Assistant President of the Church.

1844 - The Prophet Joseph gave a lecture in Nauvoo, Illinois, on the Constitution of the United States, and on the candidates for the Presidency of the United States.  He also attended a meeting to discuss the building of another library in Nauvoo.

1853 - The Social Hall in Salt Lake City, Utah, opens with its first theatrical performance.  The Social Hall is used for social events until 1922, when it is razed.

1928 - Fearing the rising Mississippi River, due to the dam built downstream from Nauvoo,  Illinois, at Keokuk, Iowa, would cover the unmarked graves of Joseph and Hyrum, an archeological team associated with the RLDS (now Community of Christ) Church, begins the process locating the unmarked graves where they were secretly buried in 1844.  After locating the bodies, they would be moved nearby and re-buried in their present location in the Smith Family Burial Ground.

1947 - The first Stake in Florida was organized in Jacksonville.

1953 - The First Presidency announces the need for stenographers and other office help in the missions and asks a few properly trained young women at least twenty-one years of age to be called as missionaries.  The previous age for sister missionaries had been twenty-three.

1989 - The Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs at events surrounding the inauguration of the United States 41st President, George H. W. Bush.  President Bush calls them the "Nation's choir."

1990 - Elder Dallin H. Oaks meets with Chinese leaders and addresses the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

2002 - The first meetinghouse in Serbia was dedicated in Belgrade by Elder Douglas L. Callister of the Seventy and Europe East Area president.